DescriptionThe PF5 [Power Frequency 5] meter is a unique and versatile meter suitable for measuring fields from electrical sources. The advantage it has over many other meters designed for this purpose is that it measures both:
- magnetic and electric fields from electrical sources;
- an extended range of frequencies – from 20Hz to 50 kHz.
- induction cooking hobs
- solar panel inverters
- CFL globes
- some LED lights.
Identifying fields in the VLF part of the spectrum is important because these frequencies can produce much greater currents in the body.
- For example, a magnetic field from equipment operating at 25 kHz induces 500 times more current in your body than the same field from equipment operating at 50Hz. So a 4mG magnetic field at 25 kHz induces the same current as a 200 mG field at 50 Hz.
- Similarly, the electric field from a CLF globe is 3 times greater than that from a 60 Watt incandescent globe. However, it will induce a current 1500 times greater than does the incandescent globe.
How to operate the meter
The PF5 meter is easy to operate and to read.
- Press the button once to turn the meter on. It is now measuring magnetic fields.
- Press the button again and the meter is now measuring electric fields.
- Each time you press the button, the meter will swap between measuring electric and magnetic fields.
- To turn the meter off, press the button and hold for about 2 seconds. The meter will also turn off automatically after about 5 minutes of non-use to preserve battery life.
- Coloured lights represent the magnetic/electric field measurement.
- When 2 lights display at once, the exposure level is half way between the two.
- The lights are colour coded – green, orange, red – for precautionary guidance on exposure levels.
- Rotate the meter to pick up fields in every direction.
- A line of coloured LEDS shows the level
- Electric fields range: 5 - 200 V/m
- Magnetic fields range: 0.2 - 20 mG
- Resolution: 8 LEDs plus 7 middle points
- Accuracy: 50 to 2000 Hz ±10%
- Accuracy: 20 to 50000 Hz ±3 dB
- with a useable response from 15 Hz - 70 kHz
- Battery: PP3 9V Alkaline or Rechargeable
- Current: 16-23 mA
- Battery life: 25 hours (normal alkaline)
- Low battery (6.7V) shown by red V/m LED
- Size (mm): 110 x 63 x 21 (LxWxD)
- Weight:140g incl.battery; 175g with pouch.
- Guarantee: 5-year guarantee; if, after 5 years, the meter appears to be malfunctioning, the manufacturer has agreed to check it free of charge and repair where possible, as long as the owner pays the 2-way postage.