Mobile Phone Towers
Mobile phone towers or base stations, NBN towers and other telecommunications transmitters convey information using radiofrequency radiation that the International Agency for Research on Cancer has classified as a Class 2B Carcinogen. And they generally transmit these signals 24 hours a day.
- increased the risk of brain tumours, especially in young people
- caused sperm damage consistent with infertility
- caused oxidative stress (free radical damage) that is found in many health problems and contributes to ageing
- damaged DNA
- interfered with hormones, including melatonin (a potent free-radical scavenger).
- Is a Class 2B carcinogen.
Studies show people living close to mobile phone base stations had higher than average levels of cancer, hormonal problems and symptoms such as headaches, nausea, fatigue, sleep problems, depression and loss of libido.
It is the consistency of the base station epidemiological literature from several countries that we find striking. In particular, the increased prevalence of adverse neurobehavioral symptoms or cancer in populations living at distances <500 metres from base stations found in 80 per cent of the available studies.
Dr Vini Khurana, Australian brain surgeon
- See EMR Australia’s submission to the 2012 Senate Inquiry into Telecom amendment ’12, which considered changes to telecommunications legislation proposed by Mr Andrew Wilkie MP.
- See Lyn McLean talk about mobile phone towers - what you need to know, the issues and the risks, November 2022 here.
- Search our BLOG posts for articles.
Measure mobile phone tower radiation
You can measure radiation from a mobile phone tower or base station with our radiofrequency radiation meters.
Protect yourself from radiation from mobile phone towers
We can help you block the radiation from mobile phone towers and other wireless sources with.
- shielding paints
- shielding fabric
- shielding window films
- shielding bed canopies
- shielding clothing
- shielding hat linings
Book a consultation with an EMF Professional to test the fields in your home and advise you how to reduce exposure from telecommunications towers and other sources.
Received an application for a transmitter near your home?
What can you do?
Click here to download our free Telecommunications Kit for communities for a clear, step-by-step guide about what you can do and the options available to you.
Be sure to use only products that can be demonstrated to work. Some companies make claims that their products protect against electro-magnetic radiation or ‘harmonise’ radiation, however their products are not tested to demonstrate they are effective in reducing exposure and we’ve often measured the same exposures with and without harmonising devices in place.
We advise only using products that can be demonstrated to work to give you the peace of mind that you’re actually being protected.
You can see the test reports demonstrating the effectiveness of our products on this website.